Prepared from Idli which is all time favorite of South Indians, this Upma is healthy and tasty. Idli Upma is a combination of best of both Idli and Upma. This is best suited for those who want to relish spicy form of Idli.
What you need
- Idli – 4 to 5 cut into small cubes
- Green Chilies – 1-2
- Onion, one medium size, finely chopped
- Coriander – finely chopped
- Kari Patta – A few
- Oil – 4 Table Spoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 small spoon
- Jeera – 1 small spoon
- Ginger – Grated
- Salt to taste
Idli Upma recipe in few simple steps
Idli Upma can be prepared quickly and easily when Idlis are ready. For making soft and smooth Idlis check here.
- Make small cubes from the Idli and keep it aside
- Place a thick bottomed pan on the stove and put oil. Add mustard seeds, when it splutters add green chilies, onion, grated ginger, and karipatta.
- Let the onion become soft. Now add salt and Idli cubes. The requirement of salt will be less as Idli batter will have salt. So be careful while adding salt. Close the lid and cook for 3-4 minutes in low flame.
- Idli Upma is now ready. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot with coconut chutney.
- You can also use grated coconut, grated carrot, baked peas for garnishing.
Variations that can be made:
- Instead of making cubes you can also mash the idli. This will give the appearance of Upma.
- Instead of green chilies, if you add little red chilly powder, it tastes entirely different.
- You can also add boiled vegetables instead of onion.