Dal Makhani is a popular dish in Punjab but loved throughout India. It is also known as Maa ki Daal. It is one of the hand-picked recipes a vegetarian can think of. I still remember how it melted in my mouth for the first time when I tasted it. The perfect blend of butter and spices are a treat to the taste buds. It certainly makes any normal day a special day. Punjabi Dal Makhani is not only rich in taste but also rich in fiber, protein, calcium, and minerals too. The added cream and butter make it a calorie dense food.
Dal Makhani Punjabi style is made from Whole Black Urad dal and Red Kidney Beans soaked overnight. The whole spices added to it, enhances the taste and the cream, improves the tenderness of Dal Makhani. The heavenly taste of the dish is unforgettable. Be it wedding, parties or reunions, it always holds the first place in the list of menu.
What you need for Black Dal Makhani
- Whole Black Urad Dal – 1 cup.
- Kidney Beans – ¼ cup.
- Ghee – 2 tbsps.
- Onion – 2 medium sized
- Bay Leaf – 1 piece.
- Cinnamon Stick – ½ inch piece.
- Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp.
- Cloves – 4 nos.
- Green Cardamom – 2 pods.
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – ½ tbsp.
- Tomato Puree – 1.5 cups
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tbsp.
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp.
- Fenugreek Leaves Dried – 1 tbsp.
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp.
- Water – 2 Cups.
- Fresh Cream – ¼ Cup.
- Cilantro – 2 tbsps, finely chopped.
Procedure to cook Dal Makhani Punjabi Style
- Wash and soak the whole urad dal and kidney beans overnight. It is important to soak it, as it reduces the cooking time.
- In a pressure cooker, add soaked urad dal, kidney beans, 2 cups of water and salt. Cook on high flame for one whistle, then keep the flame low and cook for 25 minutes. Switch off the flame and let the steam come out completely.
- Take a wok with ghee, add onion, bay leaf, and cinnamon stick. Sauté till it becomes translucent in color. Now temper with cumin seeds, green cardamom, cloves and ginger-garlic paste. Add cilantro leaves, sauté for a while, keep stirring to avoid burning of the spices at the bottom.
- Add tomato puree, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Cook on low flame till ghee separates.
- Add dried fenugreek leaves and garam masala powder, cook for 1 minute then add cooked dal in the wok, add some water if needed, check the salt and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and allow it to cool a bit then add fresh cream.
Punjabi Dal Makhani is ready to eat. Top it with a cube of butter and do not resist hogging on it. Dal Makhani Punjabi Style, as compared to other pulses requires a couple of extra whistles and extra cooking time. But the hard work is worth the wait. No other dal can beat the deliciousness of Punjabi Dal Makhani, that is the reason it is called ‘mother of all dals’.
Dal Makhani is well teamed up with roti, naan, laccha paratha or with jeera rice. Trust me you might want to gulp it as it is in a bowl while watching your favorite TV series. Be it a family gathering or friend’s get together it certainly makes the guests go slurp! Bring a zing in your day with this mouth-watering Dal Makhani. Happy Gobbling!!!