A delicacy straight from the heart of northern India ,a great Indian dinner recipe, Rajma rice is liked by the old, young and children alike.The dish not only provides the required nourishment to the body, but it’s tasty too. A heady aroma of rajma rice permeates the surroundings and is so very intense that it raises your taste buds.A dish that unveils mother’s love and prepared mostly at dinner time is like a treat to the kids who ask their mothers for something special to eat after coming back from playing in the park or from a hectic class.It instantly gives a boost to the energy levels and satiates to the core. Nonresident Indians when they come to India, ask for “Ghar Ka Khana” and that too made by their mother. Isn’t it intriguing that how children living abroad miss Indian food so much so that their first thought is to eat a meal as soon as they land.As they say,” Love is in mother’s hands who will feed her beloved child with joy and that joy is hidden in the repertoire of rajma rice”.
The key to rajma rice being the favorite of all is the complex character of the red kidney beans tempered very finely with a lot many whole spices and plated together with the simplicity of rice. There are hundreds of recipes available, but you need to get your ingredients right. You need to explore the far and wide flavor of this recipe by trying it according to your own taste and this is what will make your taste buds dance with delight.
Let’s look at the very process of its making
- 2 cups rajma (soaked overnight)
- 3 onions (finely chopped)
- 5 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- ½ inch ginger julienned
- 1 green chilly (finely chopped)
- 3 tomatoes (grated)
- ¾ tsp of turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp rajma masala
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt to taste
- 3 tsp oil
- 1 cup rice (soaked for 2 hours)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 cups water
- Salt to taste
Procedure for making Rajma curry
- Take a pressure cooker and boil Rajma with salt for half an hour.
- Take a kadhai and heat the oil and add cumin, onions into it and sauté onions till golden brown.
- Add garlic, ginger and green chilly to it.
- Add rajma masala, coriander powder, red chilli powder garam masala and then add the tomatoes and wait till the mixture leaves oil.
- Add the mixture to boiled Rajma and give 1-2 whistles in the pressure cooker.
- Open the cooker and let it simmer for about 5 -10 minutes.
- Pour it into a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve piping hot.
Procedure for making rice
- Take a boiler and add oil, cumin seeds and water into it.
- Add soaked rice into the boiler.
- Cook for 15 minutes and the rice will be ready to be savored with rajma.
Here you have the secret to someone’s heart. So go ahead and please everyone around with the spell of rajma rice.They will love you for this as there is nothing in the world which satiates other than good food.Make the dish and see the magic unfold…