The flavorsome butter chicken, infused with a variety of spices was originated by the Sikh diaspora and is all time favorite of Punjabis. Also called Mughlai, it shows the richness of Indian dinner recipes. Murgh makhani as it is famously called is a dish of the Mughals and was first presented to the world by Moti Mahal restaurant in Delhi.
Chicken is marinated in yoghurt and other spices for an hour or so and then roasted in a tandoor or a grill and is then mixed with the thick gravy with butter which gives it that creamy taste delightful and mouthwatering .Be it marriages ,sangeet ceremonies or small Kitty parties ,butter chicken is a favourite party dish. Everyone savours this creamy dish and this dish is quite famous worldwide.Food makes the world smaller and friendlier and friendship can be developed if people share similar liking for a certain dish and murgh makhani is favourite to all.
Butter chicken is a real authentic regal dish but there are many who heave at the amount of cream that goes into it but cream can be substituted for ghee or yoghurt .But if you are a real butter chicken fan then go for cream as there’s nothing in the world that creates rich creamy murgh makhani than a rich cream. Go ahead and indulge.
Let’s take a look at the process
- Boneless chicken cut into 2 inch pieces (500 grams)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup yogurt
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
For makhani gravy
- 2 tsp ghee
- 3 cloves
- 2 green cardamom
- 5 peppercorns
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1tsp ginger paste
- 1tsp garlic paste
- 5 tomatoes grated
- 1tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1tsp sugar
- ½ cup fresh cream
Making the butter chicken:
- Rub the mixture of red chili powder, garam masala, juice of lemon and salt to the chicken pieces and keep aside in the fridge for for about 30 minutes.
- Hang the yogurt so that it looses water and add ginger, garlic and red chilli powder, garam masala, salt and oil.
- Apply this mixture on the chicken pieces and leave in the fridge for 3-4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200C .Thread the chicken pieces onto the skewer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Moisten with butter and cook for 5 more minutes.
For Makhani gravy:
- Heat the ghee in a pan. Add green cardamoms, cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon. Add ginger and garlic paste and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Now pour tomato puree and all the spices.
- Add ½ a cup of water and bring to boil.
- Add the roasted chicken and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add cream and serve hot with rumali roti or any roti as desired.
So a look at the making of this dish must have invigorated you so don’t wait, dart about, go to the kitchen and make it. Then Indulge yourself and enjoy the real murgh makhani and you will feel ecstatic at the very first bite .Forget about the cream and taste the world’s most renowned lip smacking dish with delight.