Besan (Chickpea Flour or Gram Flour) Kadhi
Kadhi is a very popular dish in all parts of India, but originally it is a delicacy from Rajasthan, Haryana, and Punjab. It is prepared in all seasons. It is very rich in proteins as it is prepared from besan. Each region has their own varieties of kadhi like in Rajasthan it is Rajasthani kadhi which have large red chilies in it, Kadhi pakoda in which there are pakoras and Paneer kadhi which have chopped pieces of paneer in it. There are a lot of other varieties which are made using leafy vegetables like palak (spinach), Bathua (Chenopodium), methi and so on. In rural areas of Haryana, kadhi is prepared in kadahi made of Iron which increases its deliciousness and obviously its nutrient richness. Now let us see how to make basin kadhi in few easy steps
Recipe serving: 4 people
Preparation time: 4-5 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Total cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Veg or non-veg: veg
Calories: 616.5 kcal
Carbohydrates: 35.5 g
Proteins: 17.2 g
Fats: 44.7 g
Ingredients for besan kadhi:
- 4 cups yogurt
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 cup gram flour (Basin)
- Salt according to your taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 5 cups water
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon asafetida and ½ teaspoon rai
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 3-4 whole red chilies
- 1 tsp gram masala or the others which you use
Preparation for besan kadhi
- Take gram flour, gram masala, turmeric powder, salt in a vessel and mix them.
- Mix the yogurt thoroughly in water and then add it to the basin mixture to make it a paste (neither too thin nor too much viscous).
- Take the vegetable oil in a vessel. It should be thick bottomed, heat the oil. When hot add rai, cumin (jeera) and hing (asafetida) to the oil. When the cumin seeds begin to become brownish add the red fresh large chilies in it. Saute it for 1 minute.
- Add besan and yogurt mixture to it. Stir continuously and bring it to a boil.
- Boil in low flame for 15 minutes. Keep an eye regularly and keep stirring at intervals.
Kadhi is ready! You can give it a garnishing of coriander leaves, butter or any other leafy vegetable as per your taste. Serve it with roti, paratha, rice, and as any other side vegetable.
- There must be simultaneous stirring while adding the yogurt mixture so as to preserve its natural essence.
- Try it with bajra roti and makkhan; it’s the best combination!
- If it is cooked in iron kadhai then pour the kadhi into another vessel after one or two hours.
Enjoy your meal!