In our childhood, whenever we heard the word “kashayam”, our faces went weird. We really thought it is a punishment to get sick. But, I am realizing the benefits of that Kashayam now and giving the details to others. This is the home remedy for cough, cold, mild fever and indigestion.
Let’s call it as “home remedy or grandma’s remedy”. We have studied about causative organisms for cold; numerous types of viruses will change their structure to infect us. But this is what our ancestors had invented during their era. It was meant to treat all the signs and symptoms of common cold, fever and indigestion.
Vernacular Name – Inji (ginger) Kashayam (stew)
Preparation time – 05 to 10 minutes
Cooking time – 06-15 minutes
Servings -02 adults
- Fresh Ginger – 2-3 inch
- Black Pepper corns – 10 no’s
- Cumin seeds – 5-7 no’s
- Coriander seeds -20 no’s or approximately 1 teaspoon
- Fresh Tulsi or basil – 5-7 leaves along with the stalk
- Karpooravalli leaves – optional (Scientific name: Coelus ambonicus – Local name: Karpooravalli in Tamil)
- Palm sugar- for taste (if not, you can use honey)
Easy five steps to bring out the originality of this healthy drink
Peel out the fresh ginger, and wash thoroughly with sufficient amount of water and repeat the same for tulsi and Karpooravalli leaves too.
Grind all the ingredients such as ginger, pepper, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, tulsi & Karpooravalli (optional) leaves by using a mortar and pestle or food processor and grind it into a coarse powder.
Keep a heavy bottomed vessel on the stove and pour 500 ml of water / 02 cups of water and bring to boil.
Mix the ground ingredients into the boiling water and allowed to bubble for another 7 to 8 mins. When the water reduces to half switch off the stove.
Strain it and mix with adequate palm sugar.
The healthy drink or kashayam comes out well with palm sugar. The little sourness in the palm sugar heals you better than ordinary cane sugar or honey.
- People of all ages can drink this. While giving it to children below 5-6 years of age, please reduce the level to 2 tea spoons.
- You can drink like tea or coffee in the morning and evening.
- Should not mix it with boiled milk.
- Drink it as hot as you can.
- Fresh ginger is good for common cold, improper digestion, boosts the immunity and improves blood circulation etc.
- Regular consumption can help you to balance your appetite.
- Pepper smoother’s your throat. Also, black pepper stimulates the production of hydrochloric acid, which helps the digestion of food in the stomach. Adding pepper regulates the easy and proper digestion.
- Tulsi leaves contain anti-oxidants which fight against pathogens (infectious agents); in addition to this, it regulates the immune system.
- Karpooravalli leaves increases immunity.
- Cumin and coriander heal improper motility in your stomach.
My perspective about this drink is, it keeps you away from costlier allopathic medicines. It is a cheap and efficient way to fight common cold.