Originated in Bengal, the delectable Indian dinner recipe, Mutton curry is famous from the time of colonial era and will still remain one for the years to come. Kosha Mangsho is the Bengali version of the dish and is less juicy and heavier than other curries. This dish is prepared in old cooking style “Kosha style “in which the flavor of the mutton is retained by sautéeing it for a long time till it softens. Kosha mansho is prepared during Kali puja.
Now coming back to our colonial version of the original dish and that is mutton curry, it’s said that British officers used to eat this dish on a long train journey and it used to be railway officers favorite dish. Mutton curry famous for its softness and great texture just melts in the mouth and its vibrant color makes it tantalizing and desirous.
“Oh!calcutta! restaurant” in Kolkata is quite famous for its mutton curry, it’s really authentic and regal as all the whole spices are infused into it and also continued sautéeing of the dish gives it a really thick heavy texture.
Mutton curry is not only tasty, but it is good for the bones too. Mutton soup is given to people who got a fracture or have low bone density. Mutton is high in protein and Omega 3 fatty acids which are vital for the proper functioning of the brain. Also, children who are slow learners increase their brain power by consuming this delicacy. It’s good for elderly and young adults too.
If you feel depressed and stressed out then this is the dish to rejuvenate and revitalize yourself. It’s called the brain food by many and also good for building those six pack abs. So what are you waiting for, make and serve this therapeutic dish in your own style for the people you love the most. See the magic working as theirs is nothing in the world which is as satiating as food served with love. Look at the ingredients and the recipe below and get set go…
Preparation Mutton Curry Bengali Style
Ingredients for Mutton curry
- ½ kg mutton
- 2 potatoes sliced
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp red chili powder1
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp meat masala
- Salt to taste
- 3 tsp ghee
- ½ inch of ginger (grated)
- 5 cloves of garlic (grated)
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
Method of mutton curry:
- Wash the mutton and marinate it with salt, red chili powder, turmeric and lemon juice.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add cumin, onions into it and sauté onions till golden brown.
- Add garlic, ginger and green chilly to it
- Add meat masala, coriander powder, red chili powder garam masala and then add the tomatoes and wait till the mixture leaves oil.
- Add the mutton and fry for 5 minutes.
- Pressure cook for 5-6 whistles and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Lip smacking mutton masala is ready to savor. Eat with rice, naan, roti or parantha
Prepare the dish and feel energized after eating it. It’s worth the effort! So try!