Who in this world can resist the sinful delights of cakes? However, with today’s generation being very fitness conscious they have to curb their sweet cravings if they want to be in total control. Cakes include two big avoidable white foods that are supposed to do nothing for your health and these are refined flour and sugar. However, if you can substitute refined flour with whole wheat flour then you can eat small quantities with lesser amounts of guilt.
You can certainly bake a cake using whole wheat flour without much fuss and ado at home. This becomes a healthy snack for young kids who are constantly on the look-out for something to munch on while they are at home. It will also be an enviable tiffin item which kids will find very difficult to share.
The method given below is through the microwave mode. It’s quick and simple and though you may not get a crusty cake, your taste buds will definitely revel in its softness and richness.
Here’s how you do it:
Ingredients for basic chocolate cake
- Sieved Whole wheat flour- 2 cups
- Castor sugar- 1.5 cups
- Unsalted white butter- 1 cup
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 heaped tablespoon cocoa
- 50 g (90% cacao) Dark chocolate or a little more depending upon your taste
- 4 Eggs
Procedure for basic chocolate cake
- Sieve the wheat flour, cocoa powder and baking powder together.
- Add the required amounts of castor sugar to it.
- Whip the eggs and vanilla essence in an electric mixer.
- Add unsalted butter to it and whip again lightly till the mixture becomes fluffy.
- Take the required amount of dark chocolate in a saucepan and set it in a bowl of simmering water over the gas flame. Keep on stirring till the chocolate melts.
- Add the fluffy egg mixture and the melted chocolate to the flour and mix it well with gentle strokes.
- Take a microwaveable vessel and grease the sides and bottom.
- Lightly sprinkle flour on the sides.
- Pour the above mixture in the microwave vessel and ensure there are no air bubbles while it rests in the vessel.
- Cook on the microwave mode on full power for 7 minutes or so till done. Test if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick.
- Allow the cake to rest in the microwave for about 5 minutes.
- Keep it on the wire rack to cool.
- Cut into the desired shapes for serving.
- The cake has to be kept in air tight container after it has cooled completely and stored in the refrigerator. Warm it in the oven before eating.