Tarkarli Beach is a perfect weekend getaway in Maharashtra, which offers amazing scuba diving experience along with the experience of a pristine clear beach. Tarkarli, the very name of the place will ring a bell in your ear. A place away from the hustle bustle of daily life, Tarkarli promises to rejuvenate you. Tarkarli Beach is a village in Malvan Taluka in Sindhudurg district in Maharashtra. It’s 8 km south of Malvan and 546 km from Mumbai on the west coast of India, the Konkan Coast, at the confluence of the Karli River and the Arabian Sea. Tarkarli Tourism not only offers adventure water sports like scuba diving, snorkeling, water rides but the beauty of the place will also mesmerize you. On a clear sunny day, you can view seabed up to 20ft and carry home the amazing experience of sea life.
WAY TO REACH TARKARLI BEACH
- You can take a train to Kudal station on the Konkan Railway and from Kudal you can a taxi or rickshaw from Kudal station, which will take you directly to Tarkarli. It takes about 1 hour to reach Tarkarli Beach.
- Another station is Kankavli on the Konkan Railway. From the station, it is around 1 hour 30 minutes by road.
- Tarkarli Beach is also easily accessible from Malvan by bus /rickshaw (5 km). Private cars and State Transport bus service, part of Tarkarli Tourism, also available from various parts of Mumbai, Pune & Goa to Malvan and thereon by rickshaw or taxi to Tarkarli Beach.
Where to Stay and Eat
MTDC resort, maintained by Tarkarli Tourism, under the Maharashtra Government is one of the best places to stay. You can also venture out in other hotels and guest houses which are on the beachside. While booking always try to book directly as they might offer some discounts including food and lodging. For food. you can also try the local Maharashtrian delicacies at the Malvan market.
WHAT TO DO
- You can simply lie on the Tarkarli beach underneath the blue sky on white sand or take a boat ride to the point where Scuba Diving, Snorkeling is offered. The rate for Scuba starts from Rs.2200 (per person) and rates for snorkeling is cheaper by Rs.200-300. The rate goes up during the peak time. There are no fixed rates set by Tarkarli Tourism so you should bargain before setting up for your boat journey. Once you are inside the pristine blue water you will have the mesmerizing experience of the sea life. You can touch and feel the beautiful fishes and the corals.
- The boat will also take you to Nivati Beach (which gives you the experience of being stranded alone on an island); Sangam (the point where the Karli river drains into the Arabian sea and you also get an opportunity to see the dolphins here); Tsunami Island (the island which goes underwater with the high tides and if you are there at the right time you can experience the same).
- The boat ride will also take you to Sindhudurg Fort at Malvan, the fort has an interesting story about Maharaja Shivaji Rao war strategies, do take a tour guide to understand the significance of this fort.
When to Visit Tarkarli
Best time to visit Tarkarli Beach is after the monsoons, from October to January when you can get the clear sunny sky, which enriches your scuba/ snorkeling experience underneath the water. When you are inside the water, you actually realize that all we need to do in life is keep breathing and enjoy the beauty around you.
Tarkarli Beach, even though a small place, but Tarkarli Tourism is quite developed and has a lot to offer. You will carry both the adventurous and mesmerizing beautiful memories. If you are looking for a short trip which is relaxing and adventurous too, then head towards Tarkarli Beach and soak yourself in the beauty of nature.