Koondal Roast (Squid roast)
Koondal roast is yet another dish which should be savored in Kerala. The Toddy shops in Kerala have evolved a unique method of preparing this dish using coconut milk and coconut oil, which makes it exceptionally tasty. Here is the recipe in the simplest form to try this dish at home.
Ingredients for Koondal Roast:
- Squid cleaned and boiled in turmeric and salt water and then cut into thin rings – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 cup sliced
- Ginger – 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Garlic – 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Green chilies – 6-7 nos.
- Shallots – 1 cup chopped
- Coconut pieces – ½ cup thinly sliced
- Tomato – ½ cup
- Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
- Chilly powder – 2 tbsp
- Water – ¼ cup
- Pepper powder – 2 tbsp
- Coconut milk – ¼ cup
- Fried ground paste of coriander, chilly and coconut flakes – 1 tbsp
- Oil, salt, curry leaves – as required
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Sauté the onion in it till it becomes translucent.
- Add ginger, garlic, green chilies, and salt.
- Now add the shallots, coconut pieces, and curry leaves and sauté till the shallots are cooked.
- The tomato should be added next and allowed to cook till the oil separates.
- Now the masala powders i.e. chilly, coriander, turmeric and pepper powder are added.
- Mix the squid and water into this masala.
- Now add the ground masala mixture too and cook for a few minutes.
- The coconut milk should now be added and close the pan till most of the water evaporates.
- Garnish with coconut oil and curry leaves.
This recipe is worth a try, but if you want to taste the authentic one, do plan to visit Kerala this holiday! The greenery, backwaters, sea-shores and sea food make a lovely combination!