Mizoram is one of the seven sisters of North East India. Although not popular among the mainstream travelers, its serene mountains attract travelers looking for a peaceful escape.
The beautiful landscape is dotted with thick bamboo forests, tranquil mountains, glistening rivers and waterfalls and abundant flora and fauna.
Traveling to Mizoram:
• By air: Aizwal is well connected to major airports in the region.
• By train: Nearest railway station to reach Mizoram is Silchar, Assam.
• By Road: Aizwal is well connected to Silchar, Guwahati and Shillong by road.
Top places to visit in Mizoram are as follows:
Aizwal is the capital of Mizoram and the biggest city in the state. The city is located atop a hill and is surrounded by the river Tlwang. It also houses the Civil Secretariat and the State assembly house. There are many outdoor as well as indoor tourist attractions in Aizwal. Some of the tourist places to visit in Aizwal are as follows:
• Durtlang Hills – The Durtlang Hills Border on the northern side of the city. It offers travelers mesmerizing view of the Aizwal city. Aizwal Theological College is situated here. Another popular tourist attraction KV Paradise is also situated here. KV Paradise is also known as “Taj Mahal of Mizoram” and was built by a fond husband in memory of his late wife and son.
• Bara Bazar – It the main market of Aizwal. Bara bazaar is a flea market crowded with small shops and vendors. Here you can find a range of items ranging from the native antiquities to the exported electronic goods available at cheap price.
• Tamdil Lake – This is a beautiful lake tucked away in between the lush green landscapes. It is a few hours’ drive away from the Aizwal city near Saitul village. If you want to escape the hustle bustle of busy life, this is the place to go.
• Rungdil Lake – This beautiful and scenic lake is also a few hours’ drive away from Aizwal. Located near Suangpuilawn village, it was once home to large number of partridges. Rich in flora and fauna the lake has two parts separated by narrow tract of land.
• Mizoram State Museum – If you want to get an insight into the Mizo history, their culture, traditions and folk-lore then The Mizoram State Museum is the place to visit.
• Reiek – Get enchanted by the Mizo way of living, their still cherished traditions and folk lore by visiting a Mizo Village. An hours’ drive away from Aizwal city Reiek is an interesting destination.
Accommodation: You will find many accommodation options catering to different budgets .
There are many other Places to visit in Mizoram:
• Phawngpui and Phawngpui Blue Mountain National Park
One of the two national parks in Mizoram state Phawngpui Blue Mountain National Park is located 300 kms away from Aizwal near Myanmar. Phawngpui is the highest cliff in the state. In the local folk lore it is believed that the gods reside here. This place is ideal for trekkers and mountaineers. You will find here a wide variety of flora and fauna like rhododendrons, orchids and rare bird species.
Mountaineering tip: For climbing peaks greater than 6000 meter you need permit from the Indian mountaineering federation. Do not forget to take your mountaineering or trekking equipment with you.
Accommodation: You can remain in Aizwal and make a day trip to Phawngpui.
• Dampa Tiger Reserve
Located 135 kms away from Aizwal near Bangladesh border, this tiger reserve is a bio diversity hotspot. Here you can spot different tropical species of wildlife. For accommodations you can stay at the forest guest house.
• Vatawang Falls
Located 137 kms away from Aizwal, Vatawang is the highest waterfall in Mizoram. The cascading pristine water surrounded by the bamboo groves is a sight worth watching and is one of the popular places to visit in Mizoram. The rugged terrain and the thick forest make it difficult to approach the waterfall. You can enjoy the view of the waterfall from a watch tower.
Accommodation: You can remain in Aizwal and make a day trip to Vatavang Falls.
If you are looking for serene, tranquil get away in the lap of nature then Mizoram is the place to go. There are numerous places to visit in Mizoram that has loads to offer in terms of flora, fauna and picturesque views.